This post is to explain the excitement I have for some upcoming news with work, but before I begin let me tell a little story. Most of you may not know this but I always had the dream of going to Harvard one day. I thought I was smart enough, driven enough, and capable enough to attend one of the top schools in the nation. Lets just say that is not true. I also had plans with Madison Nelson to become a business woman in Boston, post graduation from Harvard. After those dreams faded I knew BYU was going to be my best option and I loved it. I loved everything about my experience at BYU and it is bitter sweet watching Russ take classes without me there.
Now I am into my career and I am experiencing the growing pains of working 45 hours a week and feeling like my job owns my life.
There are many perks to my job which include:
1. 40% discount
2. Being busy all day, every day
3. Time going EXTREMELY FAST at work
4. Feeling like I'm learning new skills that will be applicable to any job, or as a parent.
5. Working with people who make me laugh daily
6. I'm on my feet 10 hours a day and I actually think I have lost a little weight!
7. Flip Flops and Jeans to work.. enough said
The list goes on..
There are also many things that are not perks about my job. They include:
1. My career takes place in a mall
2. When people guess my age it is 75% of the time 19.
3. When I tell people I'm graduated they ask me what I am doing with it. HELLO!! Can't you see that I am working here!! :)
4. When your store is down all eyes turn to you and what you have not been doing well.
5. Catching people in the act of stealing weekly. It gets really annoying.
6. Having a different day off then Russ. (Tuesday vs Saturday)
This list goes on but since I have given my boss the link to this blog we will just keep it to 6. (Just Kidding Staci :))
I know every career has it's pros and cons. I am excited to announce that soon I will be able to add to my list of things I like about my job. In a few weeks I get to travel for a week with 2 other MTs and my District manager to St. George and Vegas. I know most of you are thinking that should probably be on the list of "things I don't like about my job" but it's not. I grew up thinking that I would be "traveling for business" (hence the whole I want to be a business woman in Boston prelude). I am excited to have my skills tested and really see if I can make an impact in a store. This District Manager that I will be traveling with needs to see that I am a good manager or else I will never get my own store. I need to make a good impression and bring my A game. I am excited and I will update you on my travels when I return home.
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
I always assumed a career included traveling
Posted by Katie at 8:32 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 comments:
yay katie!!!! thats so exciting!! i think you will love the travel... especially before you guys have kids! good luck and keep us posted!!
How exciting! Good luck, Katie! I'm sure you'll kick butt! :)
I didn't realize how far behind I was on your blog! Although according to your feed deal I have been on it already today...you should just get rid of that thing!
Good luck! That sounds exciting and intimidating at the same time!
Good Luck Katie! You know you could be a DR if you wanted too. I loved treaveling for work. Love You!!
What your leaving? Remember you can't tell me important information when I'm watching Baseball Tonight.
Congrats!!
yeah yeah! You little business woman. Good for you!
Apparently I also look like I am 19, as I only get asked out by guys younger than me. :) Last week my date was 19.
(I am 23. Awesome. haha)
katie its lauren im so glad i found your blog. Where do you work? So fun that you get to travel
Katie how exciting!
Congrats on moving through the ranks!
And about the whole Harvard thing i mean really clothes, books, definitely clothes are much better:)
Love you!
good luck katie. sounds like a lot of fun.
lincoln and i have a blog too. check us out sometime :)
mimiguggle.blogspot.com
Have a great time traveling with your job. I didn't know you got to do that. Sweet! I have always been impressed what you have accomplished and set out to do.
I need my katie fix.. :o)
so when I finally decided to check your blog again, I noticed this "new" post. I put that in quotes because it's 4 months old! That job must be keeping you busy=) I too had plans of being a high powered fashion magazine editor where I could wear amazing clothes and boss a little pretty girl around all over the place. Think Devil Wears Prada.
So how am i supposed to keep up on your life if you don't update your blog. Com'mon! Im DYING here to know how things are going. How are tickets looking this Wed? :)
Haha, I'm TOTALLY with you and Colette in the "19" category, in fact, mine is 17. I really don't look that little do I? Maybe I am just immature...who knows :)
Katie, it is so fun to read your blog! I loved seeing you today, I hope i wasn't too out of it, I have been so tired that half the time I feel like I'm in a different dimension of the and act like a weirdo. I can't wait to hear details about your adventure in St George and Vegas, i have a hunch you will blow them out of the water!
PS. Speaking of set-ups...can you PLEASE tell me who that good looking boy is that works at your buckle? Tall, dark hair, and killer smile...enough said!(and with my luck, he is 18)
Post a Comment