I have had a tough couple of weeks and for some reason I'm writing about it on here. I figure those who read these posts are people who love us anyways, so why not.
We lost a baby. We were pregnant again and we lost our baby. It's crazy how it happens. You absolutely know when you are pregnant. I am not talking about the sickness that comes along with it. I am talking about knowing and feeling a little spirit inside of you. I knew I was. I was really excited to have an April baby. I was still running and everything was seeming like it was going to be a much better pregnancy than with Lucy.
That should have been my first sign. To be completely honest it was a concern of mine. Not something I dwelled on but it just seemed too good to be true.
Then all the sudden things felt completely different. My pregnancy symptoms went away and the miscarriage began.
I went into the Dr the next day hoping it wasn't true, but knowing in my heart that it was. We did an ultrasound and sure enough, no heartbeat. I remember vividly what it looked and felt like seeing Lucy's tiny little heartbeat. Seeing no heartbeat was devastating. I wanted so badly for it not to be true.
My Dr told me to come back in a week to see if a heartbeat develops. Maybe my dates were off and I was really only 6 weeks and not 8 like I thought. I knew my dates weren't wrong.
The next couple of days were brutal. Russ happened to be out of town for a couple days during this whole ordeal which just made things that much harder.
Once a week had passed I knew that the baby had also. I went back into the Dr only to see everything completely gone and empty. Almost as if it had never happened at all, but it did.
I can't explain how hard this has been. You have feelings of complete heartbreak and loss. You feel as if your child has been taken from you. Something that was supposed to be yours is not anymore. For those of you who assume it is easier to miscarry early in your pregnancy rather than later I'm here to tell you it is horribly difficult either way.
I didn't need a D&C which was a relief. Now I just had to figure out how to live my life again. It is strange going through a loss that affects you the most. There is nobody who can go through it with you. Russ experienced disappointment and loss but he even admits it wasn't very real to him yet. Not like it is for the girl.
I'm not looking for pity, or even words of encouragement. I am just sharing my experience with you.
Thank you for sticking it out til the end of this post. We are doing better every day and know that the Lord is mindful of us and has a plan for our family.
Saturday, September 17, 2011
Rough couple of weeks
Posted by Katie at 2:42 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
I am so glad I decided to check your blog-- From the bottom of my heart, I am so sorry. I will never forget the baby I miscarried. Like you, I was "only" 8 weeks, but it didn't make it any less real to me or any less painful. This is one experience that truly can only be understood by those who have lived through it. It sucks royally. People either don't acknowledge it happened and won't make mention of it AT ALL, which HURTS, or they diminish your pain by telling you how grateful you should be it didn't happen later, and that HURTS. I hated being told what level of pain was acceptable based on how far along I was. It just doesn't work that way.... loss is loss and the pain is real no matter what.
I remember feeling like the world was moving on while I was trapped in the depths of grief. I have never felt more lonely than in those months I was privately grieving because sadly, people put a time-limit on what they thought was "enough time" to be sad. That time was also the closest I've ever been to the Lord.
Yes, it does get better and easier, but it is hard and it takes time. There is nothing I can offer except sympathy... I get it. I am so sorry this has happened to you. You will be in my prayers, Katie.
xoxo
oh katie, i'm sorry. i will send love and prayers your way.
Thanks for sharing this experience with us. My heart and tears are with you. Love, me
Katie, I'm so so sorry. I went through something very similar. I could have copied this whole post to my blog when I miscarried. It is such a heartbreaking experience to endure. I still think about that baby on Oct. 18th every year.. that would've been the baby's birthday. I wish I could be there to hug you so bad!!! I also remember feeling really emotional and annoyed when people would tell me it would be ok. I didnt want to talk about it face to face with anyone. I have heard somewhere that Joseph Smith said that when the mother feels the first movement is when the spirit is in the body- but I know in my heart I will see that baby again some day. And I know you will too. I love you and if by chance you ever do want to talk, I'm here!!!! (and if its any comfort to you, we started trying again before the recommended time and got pregnant with Elle right away. I've heard your body is very fertile right after). Anyway, love you!! (this is Laci btw... changed my screen name for added privacy)
Katie, you are amazing. I've never had to live through anything like that, but several people very close to me have and it sounds terrible. When my sister miscarried she read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Gone-Too-Soon-Infants-Children/dp/1555036554 and it was really helpful for her. Lots of love!
Love you Honey!! I remember those same feelings. Hope you feel better soon.
Oh Katie my dear! I love when you update your blog and i was heart broken for you once i read the opening to this post. I cant imagine the heartbreak you feel being the girl, anyone will tell you those feelings are very real and you need to say them aloud. Sometimes just getting them out in the air helps somehow. I cant say i know how you feel. I know how I would feel if this were my situation and i can say to you i would feel the same. I hope and pray that for you, when its right for you guys again, your next pregnancy will be much easier on you. We love you, and if you ever need to talk you have my number. Love you!!!!
oh katie- i can't even imagine how hard that is for you, but my heart truly goes out to you. i remember that feeling of how real everything became and how you knew there was a tiny soul in you as soon as you know you're pregnant. you are in my heart and prayers and thoughts. i love you so much!
Katie- I know you don't really know me but Russ and I were really good friends in high school. I'm so sorry! We have dealt with this twice in six months and I really am feeling for you. From the moment you are pregnant it is your baby. You think of the due date, what the sex will be, age difference between your kids, clothes, decorations, names, etc. It is so real from the very beginning so it really is losing a baby. I am so sorry and I hope you feel comforted soon. I know it doesn't help now but it really does make the next successful pregnancy so much more sweet and special. Plus I feel like I learned a lot going through something tough- learned to rely on the Lord and friends and my husband more. I really am so sorry!
you don't know me I came across your blog (I'm friends with Mal Denson) and just wanted to share that I completely and 100% understand that feeling. I endured 3 miscarriages early during each pregnancy (8 weeks, 10 weeks, and 9 weeks) and heard many times from people that thought they were being helpful "Well at least you weren't farther along." I found a great deal of peace about everything when I turned my hurt to my Heavenly Father. No amount of people saying they understand and know what you're going through can EVER take away the pain. I'm sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers
Oh Katie! I am so sorry! I don't know what to say, I can only imagine how hard it would be to be with out Russ, and already know the joy a baby can bring into your life. I will keep you in my prayers! I lost one at about 7 weeks, and another at about 12. Its so emotional. I cried for weeks. Thanks for sharing, You are so sweet, and I hope you start feeling better.
Ah katie dear... I'm so sorry. I will keep you in my prayers.
:( I love you friend, so sorry you went through all this! You guys have also been in our prayers.. It was so good talking to you the other day.. I'm sure nothing can take the pain away.. But I hope you find some comfort in all the family and friends that love you and Are praying for you! we will be there in a few week to give you lots of hugs and some much needed BFF time!! Can't wait to see you!!
I am so very sorry, Katie. I know how difficult it is to deal with that kind of loss. I had a miscarriage almost 2 years ago, and it is extremely difficult. I was almost 11 weeks, and ended up in the ER because I hemorrhaged with my miscarriage. It was probably the hardest trial of my life, 10 times harder than dealing with all the health problems I had in high school. Even with having had a successful pregnancy and a beautiful baby after my miscarriage, I still feel the heartache and pain from that first little spirit that we lost, especially with the 2 year mark coming up. Miscarriage is extremely difficult, no matter what. I know how insensitive people can be too, even when they think they're trying to be nice or helpful. With as difficult as my miscarriage was, I saw Heavenly Fathers had in my life so much when I was grieving and dealing with the heartache and pain. I hope that you'll be able to look back and see Him holding you and carrying you during this time too. Hang in there. The pain does ease over time.
My heart and prayers are with you! Love, Kiara
I admire you for being so open to talk about your experience. I lost a baby that would have been born the same month as my niece so I'm reminded every time I see her. It's so hard because it feels like taboo to talk about it with people so I haven't told anyone but a friend and one of my sisters. Thanks for being so open about it and sharing, it's comforting to know I'm not alone! Each month when I wasn't pregnant after that was torture until we finally got to keep CaseLee. I will put you in my prayers and hope the best for you!! You are simply amazing for being so strong!!!
Oh my dear dear friend, I am so unbelievably sorry~which I know doesn't fix really anything and may not even mean much in regards to making you feel better or your loss lessened; but I truly am deeply sorry for the loss of your sweet angel baby, no matter how long you've had their spirit with you the loss is real and it is unbelievably deep. I know that Heavenly Father is mindful of you and your little family on both sides of the veil and I hope you all can feel that love more than anything. We love you!
Post a Comment